You are not logged in.

Saturday, August 30th 2014, 2:11pm

The Avira Forum will be moved to the new platform Avira Answers soon. We'll make the transition of existing user profiles and threads as smooth as possible.
New visitors are able to log in on Avira Answers with the existing Avira account directly or sign up with a new account.

Asrial

Community member

• "Asrial" started this thread

Date of registration:
May 15th 2010

Tuesday, May 31st 2011, 10:16pm

Windows 7/Vista and AVIPBB.SYS Blue Screen Crash

TLDR: Disable Windows Defender in services.

So apparently I have to be some higher up forum user to respond to other people having this issue. Whatever.

Anyways, this post is specific to Windows 7 but it should be the same for Vista. XP users, sorry, but you're on your own (apparently Google Updater is also an area of interest so I'd start there).

I run a tight ship. I have no issues with my computer. No errors, no crashes, nothing. Doesn't mean it can't happen, just that when something DOES happen it's a significant event.

A couple of days ago I started to get blue screen (bad pool header) errors linked to avipbb.sys. 4 of them all in one day. In fact, it would better be classified as half a day.

I've had the Avira Premium (regular, not the suite) trial installed for the past 3 weeks along with SUPERAntiSpyware. This isn't a new environment. I haven't installed anything lately. I haven't changed anything. It's literally something where this issue would be more believable if it had occurred 3 weeks ago, and not decided to show up now.

So I took a look at Windows Update (which I let run on its own). The only point of interest in that was a definition update to Windows Defender earlier in the day. The timeline was: update in the early afternoon, computer turned off shortly after, computer turned on late in the evening, crashes start occurring.

Am I clutching at straws here? For the most part, yes. When you know your system issues like this baffle you and so you look at anything.

Regardless, I went into services and turned off Windows Defender and I haven't had an issue since. It's been a few days and I've even left the computer on overnight to see what might happen. Nothing yet.

Is this the cure? Maybe not. Maybe I'll get 4 errors in one day, nothing for a week, and then 4 more errors in a day. Who knows.

Worth a shot though...

Anyways, the steps are...

Go to START and RIGHT CLICK on COMPUTER. Select MANAGE. Yes, you want to go there. It should bring up a computer management window. Double LEFT CLICK on SERVICES AND APPLICATIONS. Single left click on SERVICES. On the right side, scroll down to WINDOWS DEFENDER and double left click it.

If the service is currently on, and set to start automatically, great.. this may solve your issue. If it's not, back to the drawing board for you.

STOP the service and then change the STARTUP TYPE to DISABLED.

You don't need to restart or anything, so just use the computer as normal and cross your fingers.

Farger

Date of registration:
Jul 10th 2009

Version:
Avira Free Antivirus
Avira Ultimate Protection Suite
Avira Internet Security

Operating System:
Windows XP/ Windows 7

Tuesday, May 31st 2011, 11:20pm

Hi Asrial,

Thank you for this information. Avira doesn't recommend to use Windows Defender along with Avira.
Scotty is currently on patrol

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Farger" (May 31st 2011, 11:20pm)

Asrial

Community member

Date of registration:
May 15th 2010

Saturday, June 4th 2011, 10:22pm

So looks like I was right about that whole "wait a week" thing. It just crashed.

Asrial

Community member

Date of registration:
May 15th 2010

Monday, June 6th 2011, 8:24am

So since the last crash I uninstalled SUPERAntiSpyware, but to no avail. Just encountered another crash.

http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&postID=1084585#post1084585

That post (Google Updater) + my findings = Avira getting uninstalled

What's really rough is I thought I had made a decision on the anti-virus solution for my customers.. but it's back to the drawing board.

I might try Avira again in a year.. give it plenty of time to resolve this, but seeing how this has been going on for a few years already (avipbb.sys crashing is NOT a new issue).. think this may be the final straw.

..and before people question hardware failure..

This computer is a workhorse. I fully use every component and if something was failing, it would present itself in additional ways other than just a random Avira crash.