You are not logged in.

Thursday, April 24th 2014, 3:04am

Dear visitor, welcome to Avira Support Forum. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Jeffits" started this thread

Date of registration:
Jan 1st 2009

Thursday, March 26th 2009, 1:09am

The Rule: "Discard TCP traffic" has blocked a packet from IP: (address)

I upgraded to Ver. 9 last night and initially has some strange messages and an inability to connect to my small (2 computers) private network. Reducing the firewall status from high to medium seemd to have solved the network connection problem, but I keep getting a message that says that the rule: "Discard TCP traffic" has blocked a packet from IP: (address). Some times the same address is repeated, sometimes it is a new address. When the firewall status was set at high those IP address included - but was not limited to - the network, but that hasn't happened since the network connection was made (at the medium setting). Actually, while I was typing this there was a message that it had blocked a packet from the other computer on my network. However, the Network Local Area connection Status screen shows activities of bytes being sent and received. The other computer, which has not yet been upgraded, shows a considerably larger volume of send and received but that may be because it has been in use today much more that this one. It may be a coincidence, but the back up system I use (Retrospect) has not been able to access the other computer (the Client in this relationship) since I did the upgrade on this one.

What is happening? Is this something I should be concerned about? Do I need to do anything?

Jeffits.

• "Alexandru Frigioiu" has been banned

Date of registration:
Dec 8th 2008

Operating System:
XP and VISTA

Thursday, March 26th 2009, 10:07am

Hi Jeffits,
There is no reason to be concerned. The firewall module from version 9 was improved and those pop-up messages that you received are basically an enhancement feature. The default settings of the firewall will offer you optimal protection.

Date of registration:
Jan 1st 2009

Thursday, March 26th 2009, 7:31pm

A follow-up question...

Alexandru,

While I was waiting for a response I ran the Windows diagnose from the screen that shows the Local Area Connection Status. The nessage from Windows Network Diagnostics is "Cannot communicate with (IP Address- this address is actually the router). Pinged the remote host but did not get a response ." As far as I can tell, the router is working as usual, but I decided to see what remedy was suggested. The suggestion was to run a Windows online program that would do a series of test on the router, as Windows says that older routers are not fully compatible with Vista. The router is a D-Link DI-604 that I have had since at least 2004. By the way, I never got this message before when I ran that test. Do you recommend doing the Windows online test - will it do any harm? - or do you think that Ver. 9 is also blocking the Windows diagnostic test from pinging the router?

Jeffits.

Date of registration:
Dec 8th 2008

Operating System:
XP and VISTA

Friday, March 27th 2009, 9:12am

Hi Jeffits,
If this is a Windows test, then I don't see what harm can it do.

I also run this test in Vista and the result was that I have no error. As you said, this issue might occur because the older routers are not fully compatible with Vista.

Date of registration:
Jan 1st 2009

Friday, March 27th 2009, 3:08pm

Results of Windows test

Alexandru,

I ran the test and the only one that failed was the last one, the multi-source test. According to Windows, the only consequence of this is that the computer will be a bit slower in handling certain types of packets or mutliple computers on the network. It doesn't explain why the diagnostic test cannot ping the router. So far I am not aware of any problems in doing what I have been doing and accessing where I have been accessing. Have any ideas?

Jeffits.

Date of registration:
Jan 1st 2009

Thursday, April 9th 2009, 3:17am

I changed the router to Vista approved

Alexandru,

As I did not hear from you again, I decided to go ahead and change the router to a Vista approved version. I seem to be clearly accessing the web faster so there does appear to be a difference. I therefore consider the problem that originated this dialogue to be solved.

Thanks,

Jeffits.

Date of registration:
Dec 8th 2008

Operating System:
XP and VISTA

Thursday, April 9th 2009, 10:18am

Hi Jeffits,
I'm glad that the problem is solved now. Thank you for the feedback.