You are not logged in.

Thursday, July 24th 2014, 9:17pm

The Avira Forum will be moved to the new platform Avira Answers soon. We'll make the transition of existing user profiles and threads as smooth as possible.
New visitors are able to log in on Avira Answers with the existing Avira account directly or sign up with a new account.

• "jg26" started this thread

Date of registration:
Mar 26th 2009

Thursday, March 26th 2009, 4:40pm

Scanner gives avscan.exe application error

I downloaded and installed avira 9 the other day. Whenever I run the scanner i get an error that reads:

avscan.exe - application error
The exception unknown software exception (0xc0000409) occurred in the application at location 0x0042fb83.
Click on OK to terminate the program.

This error always happens when the scanner gets to the "master boot sector scan at HD0." I've tried to disable the setting of scanning the boot sectors in the configuration menu but that doesn't seem to work either. I used to use avira 8 without every running into this problem. I've searched around and have found a few people who have run into this issue as well. However, none of them mentioned a fix. Is there anyway this issue can/will be solved?

Date of registration:
Jan 5th 2009

Operating System:
XP

Friday, March 27th 2009, 9:47am

Hi jg26,

This is a known issue and will be fixed as soon as possible.
A workaround is to disable Disable "optimized" scan, if you have dual core processor
Disable scan boot sector and MBR scan.
In order to scan select the drive and right click, select scan selected files with Antivir
Thanks for choosing Avira
Alexandru Manea
Avira Operations GmbH & Co. KG

• "jg26" started this thread

Date of registration:
Mar 26th 2009

Friday, March 27th 2009, 7:24pm

Alexandru,

Thanks for answering my question. Any timetable of when a fix can be expected and will it be fixed through the daily updates or will there be something else we have to do?

Date of registration:
Feb 27th 2014

Version:
Avira Free Antivirus

Operating System:
windows xp

Thursday, February 27th 2014, 4:32pm

The exception unknown software exception (0xc0000417) occurred in the application at location 0x78b2af3e.

Me also having same problem with the message 'The exception unknown software exception (0xc0000417) occurred in the application at location 0x78b2af3e.' after which scanning terminates. Please help

redwolfe_98

Community member

Date of registration:
Nov 14th 2006

Version:
Avira Antivirus Suite

Operating System:
Win XPsp3

Thursday, February 27th 2014, 11:50pm

I am also having the same problem, with the message 'The exception unknown software exception (0xc0000417) occurred in the application at location 0x78b2af3e.' after which scanning terminates. Please help

paulsubhajit, you shouldn't have added your post to this thread, which is v-e-r-y old..

the issue that you are having is a known bug in the avira 14 program.. the problem occurs when scanning more than 4 harddrives, or more than 4 partitions, at the same time..

you could work around the problem by only scanning one harddrive, or one partition, at a time.. for example, in the options for running scans, selecting to use "manual selection" and then selecting to scan the "C:\" partition..

supposedly, the bug was fixed with the recent program-update for the avira 14 program, "update 3", which is currently being distributed through avira's update-servers.. if you haven't already received the program-update, "update 3", you should receive it soon..

once "update 3" has been installed, you should see that you have "product version 14.0.3.x" when you look at the "version information" in the avira program's "about"..
win xpsp3, "windows firewall", avira antivirus pro, SSM, RegDefend